Today, there are more options than ever when it comes to web design. It’s easier than ever to create stunning, interactive websites. Web-building tools such as Wix make web design even simpler.
Wix is a great choice for novice web designers. The site guides you step by step through the process of building a website. No HTML knowledge is required to begin using Wix!
Though websites like Wix don’t offer you quite as many options for customization as more advanced web-building sites do, it’s an extremely flexible and versatile tool that meets most individuals’ needs. Best of all, Wix is free to use! You can try Wix without any trepidation or out-of-pocket costs.
In this guide, I’ll be showing you how to get started on Wix. I’ll show you the basics of setting up an account and getting started with Wix web design.
Is Wix the Right Choice for Me?
There are many reasons to consider Wix for your next web design project. Here are some of the site’s greatest strengths.
There are tons of templates to choose from
Users can choose from hundreds of stunning free templates on Wix. If you desire a more upscale look for your site, there are affordably-priced professional templates available as well.
Setting up a basic Wix site is absolutely free!
Wix offers you the chance to set up a professional-looking website without asking you to spend a single penny. If you’d like to upgrade your Wix by linking it to a professional domain, you will have to spend a little money, but with Wix, these costs always remain affordable.
Wix comes complete with website hosting capabilities
This makes setting up a website far more affordable, as you won’t have to purchase an independent web hosting package.
Wix has an incredibly easy-to-use web design system
The whole web-building process is based on a simple drag-and-drop interface. You can easily insert and move elements around on your webpage as you build it. This process is far more straight-forward than HTML or CSS-based web design.
The team at Wix is supportive and helpful
Unlike other websites, Wix even offers built-in support options on all of its web design elements. This tool can be very useful, as it’s far easier than searching a “Help” or “FAQ” database for answers to your questions.
Wix is simply one of the best web design tools for beginners. While more advanced web design users may prefer web building tools like WordPress, Wix is certainly one of the best options for setting up a basic business or personal website.
With Wix, you won’t need to worry about hosting, domain names, or HTML knowledge. By following this tutorial, you can dive right in and begin using Wix today!
Things to Remember
There are just a few basic things you’ll need to have on-hand when setting up your Wix website. This includes:
A web browser
Google Chrome or Firefox are the ideal browsers for fast and powerful web design.
Written text, images, and multimedia content are just a few of the things you should have prepared for your new website. If you don’t have any content yet, though, you don’t have to worry; you can always play around with Wix’s web design tools for now and add your professional content later on.
A credit card
If you plan to use any of Wix’s premium services. Customizing your domain name, for instance, is highly recommended.
Time, patience, optimism, and a little creativity
It will make it even easier to make your Wix website!
The Basics: Setting Up Your Wix Account
Begin by visiting the Wix website. Open the link in a new tab so that you can continue reading this tutorial as you go through the registration process.
- A large “Start Now” button will appear in the middle of the picture banner in the center of your screen. Click on this button to begin the sign-up process.
- A window will pop up requesting your registration details. Fill in your email address and select the “I’m a new user” option. Fill in your desired password and select the “remember me” option if you’d like to stay logged in to your account. If you’d rather simplify the registration process, you can also sign up by linking your Wix account to your Facebook or Google profiles.
- Wix will now direct you to a screen where you select your website category. By selecting a category, Wix can recommend the optimal website templates to you. You should choose the category and template that best meet your personal needs. If you’d rather browse through all of Wix’s available templates, you can select the “all templates” option at the bottom of the page. Once you’re done, click the big blue “GO” button on the right side of the page.
- You’ll now be taken to a screen where you can choose a specific website template. There are tons of options to choose from. Once you’ve found a template that you like, click the blue “Edit” button underneath the template preview. You can now begin customizing your Wix website!
Make Your Wix Website!
After clicking the blue “Edit” button, you’ll be directed to a page that will show you a short video guide. This video is well worth the 90 seconds it takes to watch it, as it will introduce you to the basics of Wix web design.
You can now begin using the Wix editor to customize your theme. You can modify the fonts, colours, and multimedia content as you see fit.
- Begin by clicking the yellow “Design” paintbrush icon in the upper left corner of the screen. With this feature, you can modify your template’s color schemes, fonts, background images, and more.
- With a few simple modifications, you can drastically alter the appearance of your Wix website.Though the basics of your template will probably remain the same, changing your background image, for instance, can alter the whole colour scheme of your page. Changing your page’s font can also give your website a more unified appearance. Take your time modifying the design of your webpage until you’ve found the perfect “look” for your new page.
- You can now modify some of the basic content on your page. With Wix, this is especially simple. All you need to do is click on a web element to change its content. Clicking on an image, for instance, will bring up a menu full of customization tools. You can remove images, add new ones, add or modify slideshow images, and more. You can add your own images to your page or select pictures from Wix’s huge royalty-free image library. You can also click on text elements to modify them.
As you can see, it’s very easy to customize your website using Wix. In just a few minutes, you can modify the entire look and feel of your website. Play around with the design features and enjoy customizing your page!
Modifying Wix Pages
You’ll probably want to modify the many pages on your new Wix website. You may want to re-order the pages, modify the content, or even delete pages that aren’t relevant to your new site.
To customize these pages, select the green “Pages” tap in the menu on the left of your screen. The menu of your webpages will then be listed in a column.
You can easily re-order your pages by dragging and dropping them throughout this column. There is also an “Add” option towards the bottom of this column, which will allow you to add more pages and sub-pages, if desired.
After your pages are ordered to your satisfaction, you can click each page to modify its specific content. The method for modifying content on these pages is the same as the techniques used on our website homepage. Simply click the elements on each page to modify them.
Adding New Elements to Your Wix Page
As with everything on Wix, adding new elements to your website is made easy with the Wix editor. New design elements can totally transform your website, improving the functionality of your site.
There are dozens of different elements that you can add to your Wix site. Most of these elements are straight-forward and easy to set up. A Facebook “Like” button and a Skype “Call” button are just two of the many elements you can add to your page.
To add new elements to your page, simply click the plus sign (+) option in the Wix editor menu on the left side of your screen. To add an element, simply click on it and drag it onto your page. “Drop” the element into the section of your page where you’d like it to be. Wix will automatically order the other elements of your page around the newly-added element.
After placing the elements on your page, you can modify them and adjust their settings. Simply click on each element to modify it.
Previewing Your Wix Website
Throughout the design process, you’ll probably want to take a look at how your site will look when it’s “live” on the Internet.
To see a preview of your site, simply click the “Preview” button in the upper right corner of your screen. You can now see how your published site will look to your website’s visitors.
To make further modifications to your page, simply click the “Back to Editor” button on your screen.
Publishing Your Wix Website
You should now have all of the skills to set up and customize your Wix website.
When you’re finished with the web design process, you can officially publish your website. Wix makes this process very easy.
Click the “Publish” button in the upper right corner of your screen. A new window will then pop up.
You will now be prompted to give your new website a name. Simply choose a name that is relevant to your site. Click the “Save Now” button when you’re done. Once you’ve officially confirmed that you’re ready to publish your website, it will go live on the Internet. You’ll now be given a URL for your new webpage.
The URL provided by Wix is sufficient for personal use, but might not be the best choice for business owners. The public Wix site will also include Wix advertisements. For a more professional look and feel for your website, consider purchasing a domain name of your own.
Once your website has been published, another window will pop up. You now have the option to register a custom domain name, if you’d like to do so.
Select the “Upgrade Now” option if you’d like to see the options for improving your site. The “Connect Domain” option will allow you to select a free domain name, but won’t eliminate the ads from your new site. For a truly professional-looking website, consider choosing the “Combo” or “Unlimited” plan for your site.
If you choose to select a plan, enter your payment details and connect your Wix site to your domain name. Your Wix site is now complete!
Congrats! Your Wix website is now customized and live on the Internet!
If you’ve chosen a mobile-optimised website template, your new Wix site will look great not only on computers, but on tablets and smartphones as well.
Here are a few final tips for keeping your Wix website up and running:
Constantly Add Content!
Great websites are always keeping up with the times. Be sure to add new images, blog posts, videos, and other content to keep your site active and engaging.
Wix makes it easy to modify the look and feel of your website. It only takes a few clicks to totally overhaul your Wix site. Consider selecting a new template, changing your background image, or adding new elements to your page to keep it vibrant and interesting.
Get Smart About SEO
To increase traffic to your site, be sure to configure SEO for your website. Go into the Wix editor and list the best keywords for your site; by doing so, search engines like Google will be better able to list your website.
Register for Wix Email!
If you’ve selected a Wix plan that includes a custom domain, you can register for a Wix-based email address. Registering a Wix email can help simplify your life and unify your online presence. Go to “My Account” and select “Mailboxes” to register an email address.
In this tutorial, I’ve shown you how to register for Wix, make a Wix website, and customize your website to meet your needs.
I hope that this guide has been helpful for you! Good luck, and enjoy working on your new Wix website!